Nov 09 , 2021
A bite of dark chocolate a day could not only be good for your heart, but may also improve brain function, alleviate stress, and lower the risk of diabetes. Scientific studies have shown that dark chocolate ( Not milk and white chocolate) — is rich in antioxidants and packed with nutrients, making this bittersweet treat a superfood favourite.
Dark chocolate is rich in minerals, such as iron, magnesium, and zinc. The cocoa in dark chocolate also contains antioxidants called flavonoids, which may provide several health benefits.
Chocolate is made from cacao, a plant that is abundant in minerals and antioxidants. Commercial milk chocolate contains cocoa butter, sugar, milk, and tiny amounts of cacao. Dark chocolate, on the other hand contains far more cacao and less sugar than milk chocolate.
Dark chocolate contains a number of antioxidant-rich chemicals, including flavanols and polyphenols. Antioxidants prevent oxidative stress by neutralising free radicals. Below are few health benefits of dark chocolate (or cocoa) which are supported by science:
- Nutritious: Dark chocolate with high cocoa content is quite nutritious as it contains decent amount of soluble fibre and is loaded with minerals. In addition, it has plenty of potassium, phosphorus, zinc, and selenium. Because of high calories content it is recommended to consumed in moderation.
- High in Antioxidants: Dark chocolate is loaded with organic compounds that are biologically active and function as antioxidants. These include polyphenols, flavanols and catechins, among others. Cocoa and dark chocolate have a wide variety of powerful antioxidants. In fact, they have way more than most other foods.
- Cocoa powder was found to significantly decrease oxidized LDL (bad) cholesterol in men. It also increased HDL and lowered total LDL for those with high cholesterol
- May improve blood flow & lower blood pressure
- May reduce heart disease risk
- The flavanols can protect against sun damage, improve blood flow to the skin, and increase skin density and hydration
- Eating high flavanol cocoa for 5 days improved blood flow to the brain. Cocoa may also significantly improve cognitive function in older adults with mild cognitive impairment. It may improve verbal fluency and several risk factors for disease, as well
Although, there is considerable evidence that cocoa can provide powerful health benefits, being especially protective against heart disease. But this doesn’t mean you should go all out and consume lots of chocolate every day. It’s still loaded with calories and easy to overeat.
Please note that a lot of chocolate in market is not nutritious. We recommend choosing quality stuff (dark chocolates with 70% or higher cocoa content). You can find great varieties of dark chocolates at good Eatin’ & Co (including sugar-free options).
If you are looking for natural, organic & healthy food for you, you can give good Eatin’ & Co a try. At good Eatin’ & Co, we promote healthy eating. We provide products that are healthy, natural, chemical & preservative free. good Eatin’ & Co supports reforestation & partnered with Tree-nation. Every order you place at good Eatin’ & Co, you plant a tree with Tree-nation.